Compare hotel prices and find the best deal - HotelsCombined.com

Sunday, March 23, 2014

A metaphor is when you compare two things without using "like" or "as".

Some examples are: 
1) My life is a dream 
2) I am a rainbow 
3) Time is money 
4) Boiling mad 
5) Frozen with fear 
6) The team captain is a rock 
7) Steer away from the controversy 
8) I switched the direction of the issue. 
9) She followed her own agenda 
10)she/he spilled the beans 

Examples of Metaphor and Simile: 

* Her eyes are jewels sparkling in the sun.(Metaphor) 
* Her eyes are as shiny as jewels in the sun.(Simile) 

* The harvest moon is a great pumpkin in the sky.(Metaphor) 
* The moon during harvest looks like a great pumpkin in the sky.(Simile)

Love Is a Metaphor: 99 Metaphors of Love 
A Fruit
Love is a fruit, in season at all times and within the reach of every hand. Anyone may gather it and no limit is set.
(Mother Teresa, No Greater Love, 1997) 


A Banana Peel
I look at you and wham, I'm head over heels.
I guess that love is a banana peel.
I feel so bad and yet I'm feeling so well.
I slipped, I stumbled, I fell.
(Ben Weisman and Fred Wise, "I Slipped, I Stumbled, I Fell," sung by Elvis Presley in the film Wild in the Country, 1961) 


A Spice
Love is a spice with many tastes--a dizzying array of textures and moments.
(Wayne Knight as Newman in the final episode of Seinfeld, 1998) 


A Rose
Love is a rose but you better not pick it.
It only grows when it's on the vine.
A handful of thorns and you'll know you've missed it.
You lose your love when you say the word "mine."
(Neil Young, "Love Is a Rose," 1977) 


A Garden
Now that you're gone I can see
That love is a garden if you let it go.
It fades away before you know,
And love is a garden--it needs help to grow.
(Jewel and Shaye Smith, "Love Is a Garden," 2008) 


A Plant
Love is a plant of the most tender kind,
That shrinks and shakes with every ruffling wind.
(George Granville, The British Enchanters, 1705) 


A Wild Plant
Love is no hot-house flower, but a wild plant, born of a wet night, born of an hour of sunshine; sprung from wild seed, blown along the road by a wild wind.
(John Galsworthy, The Man of Property, 1906) 


A Tree
[L]ove needs new leaves every summer of life, as much as your elm-trees, and new branches to grow broader and wider, and new flowers at the root to cover the ground.
(Harriet Beecher Stowe, The Chimney-Corner, 1868) 


A Cloud
[Love] is the rosy cloud in the morning of life; and if it does too often resolve itself into the shower, yet, to my mind, it only makes our nature more fruitful in what is excellent and amiable.
(Washington Irving, letter to Mrs. Foster, May 28, 1823) 


A Clash of Lightnings
Oh, love is a journey with water and stars,
with drowning air and storms of flour;
love is a clash of lightnings,
two bodies subdued by one honey.
(Pablo Neruda, Sonnet 12, translated by Stephen Tapscott, 1960/1986) 


A Star
[Love] is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wandering bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
(William Shakespeare, Sonnet 116, 1609) 


A Pilgrimage
Real love is a pilgrimage. It happens when there is no strategy, but it is very rare because most people are strategists.
(Anita Brookner, interview with Olga Kenyon, 1989) 


A Journey
They say it is better to travel than to arrive. It's not been my experience, at least. The journey of love has been rather a lacerating, if well-worth-it, journey."
(D.H. Lawrence, Fantasia of the Unconscious, 1922) 


A Truck
Love is a truck and an open road,
Somewhere to start and a place to go.
(Mojave 3, "Truck Driving Man," 2006) 


A Truck and a Wall
Love is a truck, love is a wall.
It'll run you down or it's what you've gotta get over.
(Connie Kaldor, "Love Is a Truck," 2000) 


A Dirt Road
They say love is a two-way street. But I don't believe it, because the one I've been on for the last two years was a dirt road.
(Terry McMillan, Waiting to Exhale, 1992) 


A Key
Love is the master key that unlocks the gates of happiness, of hatred, of jealousy, and most easily of all, the gate of fear.
(Oliver Wendell Holmes, A Moral Antipathy, 1885) 


A Bull
Happiness is the china shop; love is the bull.
(H.L. Mencken, A Little Book in C Major, 1916) 


A Beggar
Love is a beggar, most importunate,
Uncalled he comes and makes his dear demands.
(Corinne Roosevelt Robinson, "Love Is a Beggar," 1912) 


A Homeless Guy
And love is a homeless guy searching for treasure in the middle of the rain and finding a bag of gold coins and slowly finding out they're all filled with chocolate and even though he's heart broken, he can't complain because he was hungry in the first place.
(Robert "Bo" Burnham, "Love Is . . .," 2009) 


An Alchemist and a Spaniel
Love is an alchemist that can transmute poison into food--and a spaniel that prefers even punishment from one hand to caresses from another.
(Charles Caleb Colton, Lacon: or, Many Things in Few Words, 1820) 


A Dog
Love is a dog from hell.
(Charles Bukowski, Love Is a Dog From Hell, 1977) 

Look at these examples of metaphors with sample sentences and meanings:


Metaphor example 

Metaphorical sense 

Original sense 


I'm not an angel, but I wouldn't behave like that. 

exemplary person 

a spiritual being believed to be a messenger of God 


America is a melting pot. 

place where different peoples, styles and cultures are mixed together 

a container in which metals or other materials are melted and mixed 


John is a real pig when he eats. 

greedy person 

a four-legged animal kept for meat (pork) 


My father is a rock. 

very strong or reliable person 

a hard, mineral material made of stone 


How could she marry a snake like that! 

Traitor 

a long, limbless reptile (eg: cobra, python, viper) 


The policeman let him off with a yellow card. 

Warning 

(in soccer) a yellow card that the referee shows to players when cautioning them 


All the above metaphors (the simplest form) are nouns. But there are other ways of making metaphors, for example with verbs or adjectives. Here are some examples:


Metaphor example 

Original sense of the word (example) 


The committee shot her ideas down one by one. 

Anti-aircraft guns shoot down planes. 


The private detective dug up enough evidence to convince the police to act. 

Dogs like to bury bones and dig them up later. 


He broke into her conversation. 

Burglars break into buildings. 


The new movie was very popular. People flocked to see it. 

Birds flock together before they migrate. 


His head was spinning with ideas. 

Some computer hard drives spin at over 10,000 revolutions per minute. 


Reading that book kindled my interest in politics. 

You need to start with twigs and small branches when you kindle a camp fire. 


Tim lost his job after a heated argument with his boss. 

We have a heated swimming pool. 


The new car's sexy design increased sales for the company. 

Some women think that lipstick makes them look sexy. 


He was dressed rather vulgarly in a loud checked suit. 

I can't hear you because the radio is too loud. 


It wasn't long before their relationship turned sour. 

Sour food has an acid taste like lemon or vinegar. 

Some examples of hyperboles include: 
“I’ve told you a million times” 
“It was so cold, I saw polar bears wearing jackets” 
“She is so dumb, she thinks Taco Bell is a Mexican phone company” 

Here are some common examples of hyperboles: 
I am so hungry I could eat a horse. 
I have a million things to do. 
I had to walk 15 miles to school in the snow, uphill. 
I had a ton of homework. 
If I can’t buy that new game, I will die. 
He is as skinny as a toothpick. 
This car goes faster than the speed of light. 
That new car costs a bazillion dollars. 
We are so poor; we don’t have two cents to rub together. 
That joke is so old, the last time I heard it I was riding on a dinosaur. 
They ran like greased lightning. 
He's got tons of money. 
You could have knocked me over with a feather. 
Her brain is the size of a pea. 
He is older than the hills. 

10 Simple Hyperbole Examples for Kids

Have you realized you always walk at the speed of a snail?

I have been trying to complete this since the Stone Age.

After the holidays, I'm sure a whale would weigh less than me.

Hundreds of tears flowed down her cheeks that day.

The car was decorated with a million flowers.

Her mile-wide smile could make anyone's heart melt instantly.

Her nails were so long she could tap people on the back with them.

Whenever I went to the library, I would see him buried under a mountain of paperwork.
Sometimes I really believe that your brain is the size of a pea.



I'm so hungry I could eat a horse.


Another example

"I'll love you, dear, I'll love you till China and Africa meet,

And the river jumps over the mountain

And the salmon sing in the street,

I'll love you till the ocean

Is folded and hung up to dry

And the seven stars go squawking

Like geese about the sky."

0 comments:

Post a Comment